If all the available wisdom which philosophy holds were to be likened to a large
jig-saw puzzle, then Vedanta philosophy has all the pieces for the picture, which
we are likely to need in our lives. It deals with the following matters in detail:-
1. Knowledge about the soul’s journey in this world, which may require many human
2. The accumulated effect of our past actions, in all embodiments, and how to deal
3. The nature of the human being - body, senses, mind, intellect and soul - and how
they work together.
4. Devotion and the nature of it. 5. The way to understand renunciation. 6. The
nature of illusion.
7. The nature of the three forces which govern both the universe and human psychology.
8. The value of meditation or control of the mind. 9. The nature of the true Self.
10. How knowledge and action need to be understood and the way they can lead us towards
11. Ignorance and its effect on the human race. 12. The value, nature and types
of true worship.
13. How many ways the Divine manifests in the world. 14. How to become free while
living in the body.
15. The relationship between the Universal Self and the individual Self.
16. A comparison between those traits which help our progress and those which retard
17. Types of discipline and how to lead a disciplined life in all aspects of it.
18. How to take advantage of all situations in life to benefit the progress of the
Above are the main topics which are dealt with. There are many other issues which
will make sense to those who have attempted, for many years, to understand and practice
the above list.
Most belief systems which have arisen in the Middle East and Europe in the last 4,000
years or so, have the basic approach of taking control of the choices which individuals
and society make. Vedanta, on the other hand, does not take this approach. Therefore
we find that there is no attempt at proselytising or to decide for the society or
individual what choices they should make. This has avoided such things as conflict
and persecution of both individuals and whole countries, where Vedanta has been the
influencing factor. Those who live within the confines of the control system approach
cannot easily realise this fact.